Contributed by Allen Barwick|
Dover is one of the enterprising progressive towns on the Atlantic and North Carolina road. It has had a rapid, but substantial growth. In 1880, Dover was merely a railway station with an unpretentious depot building 18X30 feet with shed room. The shed was used as a railroad warehouse, while the main building was used as post office, variety storeroom and apartments for the postmaster and clerk.
After a few years, the property, consisting of 100 acres, changed hands, and F. P. OUTLAW became keeper of the station, railway agent, postmaster, general storekeeper, etc. It was but a short time until the HINES Brothers located a steam saw mill at this place. Then came a change. HINES Brothers turned loose hundreds of laborers in those vast forests that had so often resounded to the howl of the wolf, the bark of the fox, and the growl of the heavy black bear. In these forests were to be found black bear, dear, foxes, coons, opossums, minks, otters, and numberless old hares. Besides this, there were birds in great variety and the gray and black fox squirrels were plentiful. Not a few wild hogs could be trapped, and cattle shot on the run.
Ere long the Goldsboro Lumber Company, composed of North Carolina and outside capitalists, entered the field at Dover; and soon they had fully equipped there one of the most complete lumber mills in the country. They were attracted by the large quantity of pine, poplar, cypress, cedar, juniper, oak, ash, maple, beech, gum, hickory, persimmon, etc., to be found in the vicinity.
For twenty years these big lumber companies have cut timber; and within recent years, while the HINES Brother's mill has been removed to Kinston, four other mills have entered the woods around Dover. These are the WEST Lumber Company, MAXWELL Lumber Company, PARROTT and CRABTREE, and the Dover Lumber Company, recently formed.
Within a radius of five miles of the town there are 5,000 acres of rich swamp land, capable of yielding valuable crops. Some of this swampland is now in a high state of cultivation, frequently yielding twenty barrels of corn to the acre, while pumpkins, peas and other products grow luxuriantly. This land also yields fine cotton. To reclaim and drain these swamps would not cost anything for the wood and timber that would thus be secured would more than pay expenses.
The town of Dover is situated ten miles east of Kinston, and twenty-four miles west of Newbern. It is the highest point on the A. & N. C. railroad. It is five miles south of the Neuse River and ten miles north of the Trent. The dwellings of the town, for the most part, are nicely built cottages. Today Dover is the residence of about a thousand people. Its several manufacturing plants represent investments of a large amount of money. Two railroads afford it the best of transportation facilities, and a score of prosperous stores draw trade from three counties. A flourishing school and the spires of churches attest the fact that amid the busy hum of business the finer side of life is not neglected. The streets are lighted by electricity. A number of the residences are supplied with water-works, and communication among the inhabitants of the town and with the outside world is facilitated by local and long distance telephones.
The story of Dover is the story of factories, for the most potent element in its wonderful development has been the establishment there of manufacturing industries, giving employment to a large number of men.
It is doubted if a dozen passengers got off and on the train at this point during the month. The Goldsboro Lumber Company, which was organized in Goldsboro in 1888, moved to Dover and started up a mill. At first it was a circular mill with a capacity of about 25,000 feet per day, but as timber was abundant in that immediate section and demand for the output was constantly increasing, and at good prices, the mill began to run night and day with an out put of from 40,000 to 45,000 feet every twenty-four hours. Still the business of the company grew, and ten years later, a band mill was put in - with two bands - giving the mill a capacity of from 65,000 to 80,000 feet per day. This meant a constant increase in the demand for lumber and a consequent constant growth in the population of the town.
There is in Dover a splendid opportunity for additional manufacturing concerns, notably, wood-working factories, such as sash and blind factories, stave factories, furniture factories, handle factories, pall factories, and in fact, almost any sort of industry for the conversion of wood into merchantable material. In addition to abundance and nearness of raw material, the climate is mild, the health of the town is good, taxation is low, labor is contented and transportation facilities are excellent.
The people of Dover are not only progressive in business and manufacturing, but as well, they are progressive in education and alert to promote the educational and religious welfare of the children and all the people. There are five good churches here and the Dover High School is one of the best educational institutions in Eastern North Carolina. Under the principalship of Professor E. H. MOSER, it has had an enrollment of 140, and the commencements have drawn a crowded house at every separate exercise.
There are four churches in Dover, three completed, in use and one just under way. The Methodist church has a membership of seventy-five and is served by Rev. W. A. FORBES as pastor, Mr. Forbes now lives in Dover and will occupy the parsonage which will soon be completed. Mr. G. V. RICHARDSON is superintendent of the Sunday school, which enrolls about 145 members. This Sunday School is the leading Methodist Sunday School in the New Berne district in organization and percentage of attendance, having won a banner three years in succession for excelling in this respect. The stewards of the church are: W. A. WILSON, W. J. POWELL and G. V. RICHARDSON.
The Christian church is served once a month by Rev. C. F. OUTLAW, a student of the Atlantic Christian College. The elders of the church are: L. H. OUTLAW, L. H. WHITEHEAD, and A. G. OUTLAW. GEORGE B. WILSON is superintendent of the Sunday school, which has about seventy members, and which holds its sessions every Sunday afternoon. The pulpit of the Presbyterian Church is filled at frequent intervals by Dr. ISAAC CAMPBELL, of the Presbyterian Church in Kinston. The Baptist have not yet completed their church, but hold services in the other churches.
ALONZA S. DIXON
The mayor of Dover is Mr. ALONZA S. DIXON, born in Craven County, March 22, 1858. His parents were LEWIS and MARY DIXON, of Vanceboro, Craven County. His father was a prominent merchant and at one time mayor of the town.
Until he was about thirty-two years of age, Mr. Dixon remained at home where he was engaged in the sawmill business. He then went to Newbern, where he was employed as sawyer by the Blades Lumber Company. Afterwards, for two years he superintended a lumber mill for J. F. PRETTYMAN, in Newbern. Following this engagement, Mr. Dixon went to Dover and entered the service of the Goldsboro Lumber Co. with whom he has been ever since, until recently, he has gone to the Dover Lumber Co. His long experience in the business has made him an expert lumberman.
Mr. Dixon is now serving his second term as mayor of Dover. In November 1874, he married Miss CAROLINE THOMAS, of Newbern. Their children are four, ANNIE, ROSA, SUSIE, and HENRIETTA. Mr. Dixon has belonged to the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Harmony, and the Heptosophs. He is a member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
DR. RAYMOND POLLOCK
DR. RAYMOND POLLOCK is a native of Kinston, and is now in his twenty-ninth year. He comes of a line of distinguished physicians, his father, grandfather and uncle being prominent and successful practitioners before him. It is not then any marvel that being brought up in his father's office, in the atmosphere and under the hereditary impress, he should turn his thoughts to that profession in which his progenitors had made fortune and fame.
He attended the schools in Kinston, under the superintendence of experienced teachers. He entered Horner's Military School. After spending two years there, he matriculated in the medical department of the University of North Carolina. In due time he received the certificate from the University and entered the junior class at the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, and graduated with honor there in May, 1899.
While at the Jefferson Medical College, he took the full hospital course and served in the maternity department under the celebrated Professors Davis and Wells, receiving the most thorough instruction and being drilled in the treatment of the diseases of women and children.
After graduating, he visited the large hospitals of New York City, and the Long Island College hospital.
He then came home and obtained license from the State board. He entered upon the practice with his father, and in a few weeks was summoned to the appointment as resident surgeon of the Phoenixville, Pa. hospital. This was indeed a magnificent testimonial to the ability of the young doctor.
After his return from being Surgeon in charge of the Phoenixville hospital, he received a pressing offer to locate in Dover, a thrifty town, where he has established a large and lucrative practice.
The large amount of surgical work at Dover from accidents on railroads, mills, etc., demands a man of steady nerves, and resourceful mind. The many wonderful operations, made and carried to a successful issue by Dr. POLLOCK, have stamped him as a man of first-rate mental attribute, and reflect credit on those appointed to select a reliable chief surgeon. He is a member of the Medical societies, and often has patients from Fort Barnwell to Richmond, Va.
He has lately visited the large hospitals of Chicago, Savannah, and New Orleans, and last year traveled in Canada, with a view to imbibe the latest medical information, that he might receive from the foremost surgeons of the British Empire. He enjoys the confidence of his people and others; very liberal naturally, he has acquired considerable property. He is a young man of exemplary habits, and is classed among the best surgeons in the State.
LEWIS H. WHITEHEAD
One of the energetic, pushing young men of Dover, a self-made man and a town alderman, is L. H. WHITEHEAD. He was born in Duplin County, in 1866. Here he remained on his father's farm until he was fifteen years of age; then he engaged himself as fireman on a Government boat, which was at work in Contentnea Creek. He worked at this job for several years until he became assistant engineer.
Then he spent a year in Florida "looking around." But finding no place to compare with Eastern North Carolina, he came back to Dover and went into the sawmill business. After clerking for two years, he entered the service of the Goldsboro Lumber Company as fireman; and in 1899, he became their chief engineer, a position that he has held continuously for six years.
This year he has decided to give his farm his personal attention. He owns about sixty-five acres of excellent land at Dover, and of this amount, he has forty acres under cultivation, himself working twenty acres and renting out twenty. His land produces fine corn, cotton and truck; and Mr. WHITEHEAD expects to do some trucking for the nearby markets, raising onions principally.
In 1897, Mr. Whitehead married Miss OLIVIA GRAY, daughter of J. D. GRAY, who lives near Caswell station. They have four children: ANNIE OLIVIA, LEWIS HERRING, Jr., WAYNE MELTON and a baby girl.
SETH WEST, the subject of this sketch, is the oldest child of the late W. H. WEST and NANCY MOYE WEST. He was born March 24, 1851, in Lenoir County, ten miles south of Kinston. His early education was received in the district schools and in this city.
The first twenty-two years of his married life were spent on a farm in Sand Hill Township, this county. During this time, he also engaged in the mercantile and lumber business.
He removed to Dover, N. C. in December 1897. Since then, he has been actively engaged in the lumber business, being now president of the Dover Lumber Company, which is represented on another page. Mr. West is one of the largest real estate owners in the counties of Lenoir and Craven and is very prominent in the business affairs of Dover.
On June 11, 1874, he was happily married to Miss LAURA ANNA WEST, daughter of JACOB AND JULIA WEST. To this union were born fifteen children, ten of whom are living, one being Mrs. F. E. DIXON, and the wife of F. E. DIXON, one of our photographers.
WILLIAM M. TYNDALL
W. M. TYNDALL is a member of the board of aldermen of Dover and a businessman of that town. He was born in Lenoir County, Institute Township, on February 19, 1874, remaining there until October 1890, when he went to Dover and accepted a position with Hines Brothers as clerk in their general store. He remained in this position for five years, until Hines Bros. removed their business from Dover.
In 1896, Mr. TYNDALL entered business for himself, and since that time has been engaged in merchandising, farming, logging, and saw milling. In 1901, he was elected mayor of Dover.
At that time W. A. WILSON was clerk and treasurer, and G. V. RICHARDSON, J. E. WARTERS, SETH WEST, and T. L. WEST, were on the board of aldermen. In April 1900, Mr. Tyndall married Miss LULA GILBERT, of Bonus, Jones County, and N. C.
POMPEY T. NOBLE
A young businessman of Dover, a former Lenoir County boy, and one of the town aldermen, is POMPEY T. NOBLE. He was born in Pink Hill Township, Lenoir County, October 1, 1876. His parents were JOHN M. and IZZARIAH NOBLE. His father was a farmer, merchant and owner of a water mill.
Until he was twenty-five years of age young Noble remained at home, where he attended the neighborhood schools and worked on his father's farm.
In 1903, Mr. Noble went to the wide-awake town of Dover and opened a general merchandise store, selling a large assortment of dry goods and groceries. He carries a stock usually valued at $2,500. He still owns a farm and a mill in Lenoir County.
At the last town election in Dover, Mr. Noble was elected one of the aldermen, which position he fills with ability.
WILLIS A. WILSON
The clerk and treasurer of the town of Dover is WILLIS A. WILSON, born in Wilmington, March 13, 1876. His parents were GEORGE B. and MARY AGNES WILSON. His mother is now dead, and his father is in business at Dover.
When he was sixteen, young Wilson with his parents went to Dover and began business as a clerk of White and Hawkins. He remained with them two years and then graded lumber on the yard of the Goldsboro Lumber Company. He remained at this employment a year. After this, he entered business for himself, with a capital of $25. He bought out his employers, paid them his $25 down, and began business with a stock of goods worth $128.
By hard and continuous application, Mr. Wilson has accumulated considerable property. He has for some time been conducting a general mercantile and livery business. Last October he sold his mercantile business to W. O. WHITE and brother. Then he removed across Main Street and opened up a new business. He now keeps a line of drugs, proprietary medicines, and furniture, and besides, conducts a livery business. He expects soon to erect a large two story brick building in Dover, the lower part of which will be used for livery stable purposes and the upper part as a town hall.
In June 1896, Mr. Wilson married Miss ANNA DIXON, daughter of Mayor A. S. DIXON, of Dover. Their children are: EDNA, VIOLA, EVELYN, RUTH and VIRGINIA.
GEORGE V. RICHARDSON
One of the leading merchants of Dover is GEORGE V. RICHARDSON, born on February 9, 1869, three miles from Dover, in Craven County. At the age of thirteen, he entered Davis Military School at LaGrange, remaining there three years. He graduated in military tactics, and returned to his father's farm, intending later on to enter Trinity College. Circumstances prevented his taking this step, and for three years, he taught in the public schools of his native county.
In 1889, Mr. Richardson married Miss BLANCHE WEST, daughter of W. H. WEST, of Lenoir County. Soon after this, he went to Dover and entered the mercantile business where he has grown up with the town. He is superintendent of the Dover Methodist Sunday school, which has for several years been the banner school of the district. He is a mason, a member of the Junior Order, and a steward in the Methodist Church.
For four years, Mr. Richardson has been a commissioner of Craven County, and superintendent of the county post. He is a member of the Democratic executive committee for Craven, and a member of the Democratic executive committee of the third congressional district. He has served as alderman and mayor pro tem of Dover. He is closely identified with the interests of the town, and is ready to endorse any measure that promises to be of benefit to his community and fellow citizens. He is a recognized leader and has the confidence of all. At Dover Mr. Richardson manages the correspondence for the Free Press, thereby making the paper of local value to the town.
GEORGE B. WILSON
GEORGE B. WILSON is a native of Lenoir County, born near Institute, March 19, 1852. During his earlier years, he taught school in the neighborhood. Later he went into the mercantile business at Goldsboro, then on to Wilmington, where for four years he was bookkeeper for the Cape Fear Flour and Pearl Hominy mills. From Wilmington Mr. Wilson went to Dover, and went into the lumber business, which he has followed ever since.
In 1874, Mr. Wilson married Miss AGNES PIPKIN, of Goldsboro. The children are: WILLIS C., Mrs. ABBIE W. THOMPSON, and SUE V. WILSON. His first wife having died, Mr. Wilson married Miss SUDIE L. KONEGAY, of Dover. Their children are: GEORGE, EUGENE, JOSEPH K., ZEB VANCE, and ALBERT. Upon the death of his second wife, Mr. Wilson married Miss MARY A. O'BERRY, of Kinston.
Mr. Wilson has always been an active man. He is now superintendent of the Christian Sunday school at Dover, a leader in the Church, and a member of the Knights of Harmony. He has for some time represented the Free Press at Dover, and will continue to take subscriptions, advertising matter and orders for job work, which will be turned out promptly and at moderate prices.
THE DOVER LUMBER CO.
The Dover Lumber Company was incorporated in January 1906. The incorporators and officers are SETH WEST, president; J. H. WEST, Vice-President; D. W. RICHARDSON, secretary; and N. S. RICHARDSON, treasurer. The amount of capital stock authorized was $20,000, of which $6,000 was paid in. The company makes a specialty of North Carolina kiln dried pine gum and hardwood for fish boxes and cabbage crates. It is located in Dover and is a valuable addition to that growing town. It is a successor to the West and Parrott milling business, which was situated beyond the limits of the town. Now it bids fair to develop rapidly into a large lumber concern.
PLANT OF MAXWELL BROTHERS LUMBER CO. NEAR DOVER
The cut on page 122 gives a general view of a lumber plant which but a few of our readers have seen, by reason of its location three miles from Dover and two miles from the A. and N. C. railroad, at Hawkins siding below Dover, from which their product is shipped, and which took its name from the late FRANK HAWKINS, of Dover, who operated the mill in a small way several years ago. The plant was purchased by the Maxwell Bros. Lumber Co. in 1893, who have gradually added improvements until they now have the plant presented in a previous page, which is as complete in all its departments for the convenient and economical manufacture of lumber as any of the mills of larger capacity. The entire product is kiln dried and dressed with the most modern equipment and shipped to the Northern market in solid cars of single grades. They have also adopted modern methods in their logging equipment, which enables them to continue their business without interruption in any except the most extraordinary bad weather. They operate their own logging road, at present about three and a half miles long, which whey are gradually extending, as their timber operations require. Their present timber holdings are sufficient to guarantee them a long term of business. They also own a considerable acreage of valuable farming lands, which they have acquired with their timber purchases.
The Maxwell Bros. Lumber Company is a partnership in which five brothers are interested, L. R., A. J., J. B., C. C., and H. G. MAXWELL, all of whom have their residence in Kinston except the latter, who lives in Goldsboro. The business is managed by J. B. and A. J. MAXWELL, the former of them being a veteran mill man and for many years in charge of the planning mill of the Gay Lumber co. of Kinston. The latter was a member of the state press for a number of years before he "took to the woods." As they have never undertaken to interest outside capital in their business they have not found it necessary to have their company incorporated.
PARROTT & CRABTREE
Near Dover, on the A. and N. C. railroad is located the lumber plant of Parrott and Crabtree. Both these men are experienced lumbermen. Mr. Parrott has been in the business since 1875, and Mr. Crabtree has had a wide experience at various points. He is well acquainted with the wants of the trade, having studied the same both at home and abroad. They saw pine and are large dealers in gum of which they saw and dispose of a large number of feet in the course of a year.
Mr. Parrott is a Lenoir County boy, having been born in this county in 1850. In 1866, he attended Horner's school at Oxford and in the following year entered the University of Virginia where he studied law and was a prominent member of the Jefferson society. Later he graduated in bookkeeping from a Baltimore school. He entered life as a merchant, farmer, and manufacturer of lumber; he kept in the lead, exhibiting largely at the State fair, where he invariably carried off the prize.
He was probably the first man East of Raleigh to undertake the culture of tobacco and soon took the prize at the State fair for bright yellow wrappers.
The present lumber plant of Parrott and Crabtree is well equipped and under the management of practical lumbermen is doing a fine business.