COMPOSITE MAP OF KINSTON, NC 1762-1850
submitted by Clair
See Key below for identification
Key for Composite Map
1. Christian Church. Built Ca.1843.
2. Store built by John Washington after 1810. Known later as
Blount Store and King Store.
3. John Washington home. Built after 1810. Known later as St.
4. Possible site of Anglican chapel, 1762. Some evidence
indicates chapel located on Lot 29.
5. Possible location of tobacco warehouse, 1762. Was located
on 1and 1/2 acres that became town lots 29, 30, and 31.
6. Dibble Brothers Carriage & Buggy Factory, 1850.
7. Nichols Store. Built ca. 1836.
8. Moses Patterson Store, 1850.
9. R. L. Collins home, 1850.
10. Tailor shop of R. L. Collins, 1850.
11. W. J. Pollock Hotel, 1850.
12. Dallam Caswell home after 1810.
13. Market house, 1850.
14. Dr. John L. Taylor home and office, 1850.
15. St. Mary's Episcopal Church, 1840's.
16. Possible site of Ambrose Jones home, 1800.
17. Possible location of wharf, 1762. Dotted line shows river
bank before erosion created gully into King and Heritage
18. Dr. William A. Holland house and store, 1830's.
19. R.W. King Store 1845.
20. Loftin Hotel, 1850. Lot known earlier as "old King
corner." May have been site of Thomas King home, 1800.
21. First courthouse. Built 1784-1785.
22. Second courthouse. Built 1830.
23. Possible home of William McBean, 1800.
24. Possible home of Joseph Elliot, 1800.
25. Store believed to have been run by Richard Caswell, Jr.
1783-1784; by Jesse Cobb, 1790s; known to have been
operated by (John) Davis, (George) Kornegay, and (Nicholas)
Hunter in 1835.
26. Boarding house run by Mrs. Perry, 1850.
27. Store built before 1845. May have been operated by John
Washington ca. 1800-1810. Run by Stephen White in 1845.
Known as (John H.) Peebles Store by 1850's.
28. Office. Construction date unknown. Was part of John H.
Peebles's business complex.
29. Site of John Washington home 1800-1810. Disappeared
before 1865. William C. Fields built new house on site between
1875 and 1880.
30. Home built ca 1790 by Simon Bright III. home of Elizabeth
1807-1820, Abner Pearce 1824-1827, George P. and
Phoebe Pearce Lovick 1834-1845 and John H. Peebles family
1846-1920s. Now known as "Harmony Hall."
31. Jail lot. Established, 1784. County jail and stocks.
32. Steam mill, 1849.
33. Blacksmith shop, 1849.
34. Home of John Lovick ca. 1796-1801. Probable home of
Richard Caswell, Jr. 1782-1784 and temporary residence of
Francis Child 1787-1788.
35. Home of John Gatlin and wife Susannah Caswell Lovick
Oatlin. Moved here sometime after 1810. Long known as Gatlin
House. Occupied by Dr. Richard G. Cobb in 1850.
36. Home of John Herritage. Believed to have been one of first
homes built in Kinston. Became home of William Croom after
Hcrritage's death in 1792. Sold to Abner Pearce in 1820. Pearce
sold to Nathan C. Blount in 1823.
37. Home of Jesse Cobb. Believed to have been one of first
houses built in Kinstcn. Later a boarding house known as "old
38. Cemetery identified in records as "Cobb Grave Yard." Lot
belonged to Jesse Cobb but other prominent Kinston residents
buried there. Wall not erected until 1933.
39. "Red House." Pre-Revolutionary construction. An
early home of Richard..
40. Cemetery of early origin. Graves unmarked and not
enclosed. Subsequent owners did not care for graves and vestiges
of cemetery virtually gone by late nineteenth century. Believed
associated with Caswell family.
- Caswell (governor). Occupied by Secretary of State James
Glasgow 1777-1779. Site of county court meetings
1779-1784. Home of John Gatlin in..
1800. Bought by Abner Pearce, 1823. Pearce sold to Dr. Reuben
1824. Later owned by Dr. William A. Holland.
41. Home of Alexander Nichol, Scottish merchant. Built in
42. Home of Walter P. Allen, ca. 1835. Partially built in
43. Home of Dallam Caswell in 1790s. Home of Pinkney Hardee
for over forty years.
LINKING TO "OLD DOBBERS"
We appreciate your desire to link to the Old Dobbers site.
Linking to Old Dobbers is welcome, but
of this Website is
without written permission. Permission to link to Old
Dobbers is granted if you use a direct link to the Old
Dobbers index page rather than links to individual pages,
using the following link
Old Dobbers is managed by Martha Mewborn Marble
Old Dobbers Webmaster Guy Potts
1999 - Forward - Entire Old Dobbers Website
of the graphics on Old Dobbers are provided