Contributed by Christine Grimes Thacker|
This Industrial Issue of the Kinston Free Press was published in 1906 although there was an earlier Industrial Issue published in 1899. The issue is composed of both text and numerous pictures of places and people. This will be a slow project so please be patient.
We are grateful to the Free Press for permission to post anything of historical or genealogical in nature published prior to 1939.
PINK HILL TOWNSHIP
Pink Hill and Trent are the only townships in the county that have no Negro landowners according to the tax commission for 1905. The number of acres of land listed for taxation are 22,521. Of the polls, 158 are white and 56 are colored There is much pine timber of value to be found in the township, though a great deal has been cut out. There is little or no swamp land. Hay, oats, corn, cotton and tobacco are the usual products.
There are about twenty-nine miles of public roadway in the county. The present terminus of the Kinston and Carolina railroad is at Turner Brothers store in this township, near Duplin County line. This road was built by the Kinston Lumber Company as a log road but the company is now making it a permanent road for passenger and freight traffic. It is already doing a fine business of this class and the management will soon change the track from narrow to standard guage and put down heavy rails. When this is done the people of Pink Hill and other townships lying along the line and people further out in Duplin county, will have excellent rail connection with Kinston. At present the K. and C. provides a daily service between Kinston and Pink Hill.
The school committee of Pink Hill are JOHN W. WORLEY, R.K. NOBLE and PARKER HOWARD. Miss EMMA SCHOLFIELD is the teacher of school No. 1, which has an average attendance of 40 pupils. School No. 2, is presided over by Miss HATTIE HARTSFIELD assisted by ARBIE SUTTON. The attendance at this school is over 40. Miss Lola Worley is the teacher at school No. 3, which has an average attendance of 30. There is an average attendance of 25 at school No. 4, which is taught by Miss LAURA ROUSE. Miss BESSIE ELMORE teaches school No. 4, and the average attendance is about 15.
RICHARD K. NOBLE, one of the leading citizens of Pink Hill Township, was born in the township November 28, 1853. His parents were RICHARD and CATHERINE NOBLE, his father being deputy, under Sheriff Fields. He has served his community as Justice of the peace and school committeeman. He has been a member of the county board of education, and was a county commissioner along with S. H. ROUNTREE, E. D. BROOKS, REV. C. W. HOWARD, S. H. ABBOTT, A. T. DAWSON and R. J. NOBLE.
Mr. NOBLE is a large land owner and one of the largest farmers of his township. He owns 1,400 acres of land and cultivates 250 acres. Besides he owns and operate a cotton gin of a capacity of 12 bales a day. He married Miss ZOBEDIA, daughter of LENDS and NANCY DAVIS, of Pink Hill township. Their children are VERDIE, GARLAND, REXFORD, VERA, VIERNA and Vendetta.
W. W. DENNY
The oldest citizen of Pink Hill township and a man respected by all, is DR. WILLIAM W. DENNY. He was born at Dennysville, Guilford County, August 7, 1833. His parents were ELIJAH and ELIZABETH DENNY.
His early education was received in the schools of Guilford. He studied medicine under Dr. JOSEPH McLEAN, of that county and later at the South Carolina Medical College, of Charleston, graduating from that institution in 1857. He went to Pink Hill township in 1859 and has practiced for the last forty years in Lenoir, Jones, Duplin and Onslow counties.
Dr. DENNY married Miss SARAH TAYLOR. There is one child, Mrs. Katie Tyndal, wife of LOUIS P. TYNDAL, of Pink Hill township.
ELKANAH DAVIS was born in Pink Hill township, at the old DAVIS homestead, December 20, 1857. His parents were SENERSE and NANCY DAVIS. His father was captain in the forty-fifth North Carolina volunteers, during the Civil War.
Mr. DAVIS attended the neighborhood schools and has been a farmer all his life. He owns 436 acres of choice farm land, with about 125 acres under cultivation. He raises fine crops of cotton, corn, tobacco and home supplies.
Mr. DAVIS married Miss LAURA, daughter of W. A. and CARRIE JONES. The children are THURMAN, CARRIE, NORA, MABEL and RUDOLPH. THURMAN is one of the proprietors of the Neuse Hotel at Kinston, Miss CARRIE teaches in Jones County, Miss NORA attends at the Winterville High School and the others are at home.
General Merchandise Store of TURNER Brothers, Pink Hill, N. C.
This store is owned by T. A. and H. R. TURNER. It is located at the terminus of the Kinston and Carolina railroad. TURNER Brothers carry a line of dry goods, shoes, clothing, groceries, proprietary medicines and drugs. They sell fertilizers and various kinds of farm implements.